We all know that using social media as a tool to generate awareness, branding, and leads for your apartment community can be extremely successful. In fact, we’ve talked about social media a lot on here: Metrics for measuring success, social media tactics for your apartment marketing campaigns, hosting contests, and so much more.
But, there’s a new guy in town and we can’t just not talk about it. TikTok.
What is TikTok?
If trendy dance videos haven’t flooded your feeds yet, here’s the gist on the newest social media platform:
- 42% of users are between 18-24
- 56% of users are male
- The platform is a video-only. Photos can be included in videos, but all uploads are video format
- Popular content types include short dances, comedy bits, lip-syncs, DIY’s, and fast cut videos
- Videos are between 15-60 seconds long
- The app is available for download on mobile and has a desktop version
- It was first launched in September 2016
According to Hootsuite’s analytics, TikTok users spend an average of 46 minutes per day on the app, with the sound ON. Huge. That’s huge in the marketing world. People are not only seeing your messages on TikTok, but actually listening to what you have to say- a major shift from the way users typically watch Facebook or Instagram videos and stories.
So now that you know what the platform is, should you add it to your social media mix for your apartment community? If your competitors are on it, you should be too. If your competitors aren’t on it, you should be first. AKA- The time to jump on the TikTok train is tick-tocking.
We know this may sound like adding another item to your community manager’s to-do list, but there are some fool-proof, easy ways to have a presence on the platform without taking up too much time.
- See if any residents already have an account and if so, if they’d be willing to ‘takeover’ your profile with resident spotlights
- Bulk record 6-10 videos in each setting. Change outfits or backgrounds if you need to!
- Lean on your marketing partner for help as needed. 👋
Plus, here are 11 easy-to-do video ideas for your apartment’s TikTok account:
- Video tour highlighting apartment features (countertops, flooring, closet space, private patio, etc.)
- Video tour of each amenity
- Recap of a resident event
- Resident giveaways or treasure hunts
- Resident dance-offs
- Testimonials from current residents
- Answer the top 10 FAQ’s about your community, each in their own video
- Friday fluff: record a video about the dog of the week
- Morning routine/commute to show off any parking options, public transportation stops, bike lanes, etc.
- Cooking with the community manager: easy recipes in the community’s kitchen or an apartment kitchen
- How to schedule a tour, lease online, or explore current availability at your community
We have a little motto at Brindle that we always try to abide by in everything we do and it goes something like this: ABT, or always be testing. The time to test out TikTok for your apartment marketing is now. Best case: your other social media platforms see spikes in engagement or following and you sign a few leases because someone saw your video on TikTok. 😉
If you need a little help on getting started, we’re here for you. Chat with one of our social media experts to see how you can leverage TikTok for your apartment marketing campaigns.